Friday, March 30, 2012

What kind of bag?

Ok......I%26#39;ve been driving myself crazy trying to figure out what kind of bag to carry while I%26#39;m in Paris (3 days) and I need your help!





My dilemma is that I do not want something that is so heavy that I feel like I have to lug it around, yet I need something to fit the essentials, plus a small umbrella, map, and more than likely, a few of my boyfriend%26#39;s items. I would also like the option of sharing the responsibility of carrying said bag, in which case I don%26#39;t think a traditional lady%26#39;s handbag will work......but that%26#39;s not a dealbreaker for me. Additionally, I%26#39;d like to possibly have enough room to for a bottle of water and stow away small purchases so that I can consolidate the number of bags that I will carry.





I typically carry a backback, even in LA and NYC, and did so while in Vienna and Ireland with no issue. However, I see many posts which say that backbacks are carried by mostly students or tourists(we are both in our 30%26#39;s....so we will fall into the 2nd category!.





I was thinking I could take my backpack as my carry-on and take purse-type bag as well (can%26#39;t take my backpack to dinner and eat with it on my lap, as suggested). This was I could have the option of using either.





Am I making myself crazy for nothing?? Should I just carry my purse (like any other Parisian woman) and just be extra mindful?





Thoughts?





Thanks in advance!




|||



Hi I went thru the same thing as you what kind of bag to use.



I see you are from New Jersey so you might know about QVC. I ordered a nice mirco fiber bag with a zip top that is very light weight and will hold my small camcorder, umbrella, water, digital camera all the little things I might need, and its black which goes with every thing.So go on QVC.com and look at Kathy VanZeeland handbags the item number is A10819 . I am very happy with this bag because of the size and lightness of it. I wouldn%26#39;t wear a backpack style purse, as a friend of mine did, we were on a metro in Madrid and this man had his hand in my friends bag. So its best to have a bag that you can carry close to your body. Good luck in finding that right bag.




|||



The women walking around NYC right now with their day packs on their chests are definitely European tourists. I am dying to know if they do that at home, or assume its more dangerous here??? I%26#39;ve never seen such a thing in Europe - and it certainly marks them as tourists here!





I usually carry a small Diesel or Manhattan Portage bag that goes over my shoulder for more dangerous places. For Paris, I will have my Crumpler camera bag that looks like a messenger bag all day, and a nylon black shoulder bag that packs well for night. In Peru, I just had a water bottle in one of those Build NY nalgene cases that attached to the camera bag - I wont be walking around with that look in Paris!




|||



If your normal handbag will hold the stuff you want it to, then just bring that. Just be careful with it like you would anywhere else. There are pickpockets in Paris, but they tend to be in crowded tourist areas and target people who aren%26#39;t really paying attention to their stuff. I think your idea of bringing the backpack as a carry on is fine as well. Take a deep breath. It isn%26#39;t rocket science! (But I can sympathize because I%26#39;ve done it too!)




|||



I%26#39;ve just purchased a Lesportsac Deluxe Everyday Bag, and I love it because it weighs almost nothing and it has many zipper compartments. It will definitely accompany me on my next trip to Paris.




|||



When I read this review in a motorcycle magazine I thought of the thread about backpacks and the concern about theft. This company, Mobile Edge, makes various backpacks and bags which zip open and closed but which all have hidden zippers. Here are some examples...





http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?grp=ST%26amp;key=MOBILE+edge%26amp;cm_ven=RKG%26amp;cm_cat=adwords%26amp;cm_pla=Accessories%26amp;cm_ite=mobile_edge_backpack





Pjk




|||



We are going to bring a messenger bag in a basic color, so we can both carry it. They come in all sort of sizes and styles.





Cheers,




|||



Longchamp...available at bloomingdales and other department stores...lightweight...fits waterbottles, cameras, etc...and it%26#39;s FRENCH! You can purchase accessories and other sizes while you are in Paris...a bit cheaper.




|||



%26gt;%26gt;Am I making myself crazy for nothing?? %26lt;%26lt;





Yes, you are. :-)





I really wouldn%26#39;t bother with a seprate bag just for a few days in Paris - remember you need to lug this from home in your luggage.





If anything, I would use Paris as a reason to buy a new bag there - lol.





Mez.




|||



Recommend the smallest shoulder bag (with a strap long enough to wear it on one shoulder and under the other arm) that will hold your small essentials. Best are those that are light when empty (leather is very heavy) such as microfiber, have double zipper pulls (or at least a recessed zipper), an inside zipper pocket, and an outside slip pocket (for map, notes). Leave your wallet at home.





Then, bring a foldup nylon or microfiber tote for the other %26quot;stuff%26quot; - the water, the tour guides, the umbrellas...for your boyfriend to carry - that%26#39;s his job!




|||



djk is right - this is what has worked well for me, and I carry all my own bags these days. I purchased the organized microfibre bag from QVC (brand TravelSmith). They do come in both microfibre and leather, several colors, and different sizes, long adjustable strap to wear cross body, and they work like a gem both getting through airports and feeling secure walking around. Mine has a zipper on the back side by the body.





Hope this helps. Happy travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment