Wednesday, March 28, 2012

another cell phone query

I am pretty cell phone challenged so excuse my ignorance in advance. I have an old not in use phone (a Nokia) lying around. As it has little value I was thinking of bringing it with me for my month in France. Can I buy some kind of prepaid system in Paris to install in it and activate there to use while there? I would prefer not to do the international roaming function of my own system in Australia due to cost involved although I doubt I will use it much.. advice?




|||



No-one? I have only recently been using cell phones and so am totally ignorant about possibilities...I recently got a new phone and so have the old Nokia that I could bring with me, now empty. So I am just wondering if I can use it in France somehow.




|||



Could buy a pre-paid SIM card with Pay as You Go %26#39;top up%26#39; from any Telecom shop in Paris but use a branded shop to avoid getting ripped off....



Any new Orange/ Vodaphone/ Virgin/ O2 SIM cards should work as long as your old phone uses the current SIM card size- worth checking with your local Telecom shop before you go- they should be able to give you detailed advice!!



Your old Nokia phone may be chipped to your old supplier in which case just use that brand for your new SIM card....should cost about €20 or so plus pre-paid call-time added on.





You will be able to buy a new Pay as You Go phone in Paris for €30-40 as an alternative but again check with your local shop for advice before you go.




|||



Make sure your phone is a GSM tri-band or quad-band before buying a SIM card in France or anywhere else in Europe. Go on Nokia%26#39;s website and check for the frequencies accepted by your phone (it should accept at least 900 and 1800 MHz)




|||



%26quot; new Pay as You Go phone in Paris for €30-40 %26quot; ??? Please explain more.




|||



My mum bought a new [very basic] Pay as You Go phone for £24 a few weeks ago in case she lost her %26#39;good%26#39; one on holiday.....£24 = €36!




|||



Pay as you go



Does it come with minutes? Can you add minutes? Is it a throwaway?




|||



Most prepaid SIM cards are 15 Euro with about 5 Euro credit.



€36 phones do not generally include airtime/SIM card. however the 39 Euro SAGEM phone from Carrefour Mobile does, with 4 Euro of credit.




|||



If you are not going to use your phone very much - say 1 or 2 local calls from time to time - my advice is that you would be best off with the global roaming system. But keep your call back to Oz short - they cost about $3 per minute!




|||



Brian, I think that even local calls made with global roaming involve being relayed via Australia- so all would be expensive. And I don%26#39;t have a clue how often I might use it.





I will take my phone in to a telecom shop today and inquire. It is only about 2 years old.




|||



Felschurch- I don%26#39;t know- I%26#39;ll ask her!

No comments:

Post a Comment