Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Do you still get FF miles for overseas flights?

I was recently told by AA that I will not get any Frequent Flyer miles for my recent trip to Paris. They say that because the ticket was type ‘Q’ that it did not quality for miles. The round trip from St. Louis to Paris (via Chicago) was $954—they are calling this a ‘deep discount! I would consider it a reasonable, but not a cheap fare.





The first person I talked to at AA said that I ‘practically went to Europe for free’. In order for that to happen, the leg from St. Louis to Chicago would have to cost several times more than the leg from Chicago to Paris. He would not give me the dollar amount distribution, but I doubt that lots of Chicagoans are going to Paris ‘practically for free’.





The second time I called, the agent said that I must have gotten the ticket through Expedia (or similar). I told her no, the travel agent booked it for me. Then she said it must have been through a consolidator. I later checked my Visa bill and the merchant is clearly AMERICANAIRxxxxxxx.





When I called back the third time to tell them about the billing name, they still insisted that it was a consolidator. At one time she told me that if I had booked it online myself instead of using the travel agent, I would have received the miles. This was a package through AA Vacations and included the hotel charge for $681, also billed as AMERICANAIRxxxxxxx. The agent tried to tell me that $681 was what the agent paid for the ticket (which makes no sense that I would be billed for air twice). She seemed to be making up answers to get me off the phone. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, she told me it wouldn’t do any good.





After getting all the facts I could, I asked the travel agent about it. She said she had never heard of anything like that before. They have changed the rules as to which fare will earn miles, but she was not informed of that at booking time.





I believe in playing by the rules, but spending over $1600 with AA and not getting credited with one single mile seem stingy to me.





Did anyone else not receive their FF miles as expected?




|||



A %26quot;Q%26quot; fare is deeply discounted. I know that I am paying around $900 on AF (partner Delta) and am not getting miles.





FF miles are geared towards business travelers who are paying around $2500 for the same trip. We get (not much) for what we pay (not much).




|||



We flew to France on AA in May for about $850 per ticket (booked on line) and got mileage. I think you certainly should talk to a supervisor. If you are Gold or Platinum, call and talk to their people as they generally know a lot more. I don%26#39;t know what ticket classes do or don%26#39;t qualify, but that%26#39;s not a %26quot;cheap%26quot; ticket, IMO. Since the person you talked to was obviously making it up as she went along, I would keep going up the food chain.




|||



It would seem that you are getting the run-around, but I doubt you will get the resolution you want.





Irrespective of the price you pay, the number of FF miles/points you earn will depend on the fare bucket the ticket you purchased falls into. If this %26#39;Q%26#39; bucket awards no miles/points I very much doubt the airline would give them to you.





Mez




|||



Write them a (polite) letter. Do not call them and clearly lay out the facts and attach copies of anything you have and you will probably get your miles.




|||



Polite, well documented letters to the CEO do work!



Direct your letter to the chairman (name and corporate address can be obtained online). Explain your problem concisely; include date of purchase %26amp; method of purchase, type of billing, dates (if possible) of calls made to AA customer service and point out lack of knowledge vs. assumption of facts and especially report the fact that a CS agent was reluctant to connect you with a supervisor.



Also, include the fact that you are a loyal AA customer. State that at no time were you made aware you would not receive FF miles.



Clearly state what you want the CEO to do to make you happy...award FF miles.



Keep your letter short, factual, polite and goal orientated.




|||



If it%26#39;s %26quot;Q%26quot; fare, it%26#39;s Q fare, regardless of how much or little you paid. This is printed on the ticket%26#39;s %26quot;Fare Basis%26quot; box, first letter. FF rules are clearly stated. Of course it only costs you a stamp for a nice letter to the CEO.




|||



On AA.COM it states that Q class to Europe does not qualify for FQTV. I found it under AAdvantage page, then under %26quot;partner %26amp; mileage program%26quot;, then under %26quot;airline%26quot; and finally under %26quot;American %26amp; American Eagle%26quot;. Hope this help. they say a Q is a %26quot;deep discount%26quot;?!?!?!?




|||



the idea that $900 is deep discount is absurd





I have gone out of my way to fly AA -- guess no more if they are going to start disallowing FF miles when I get a good deal.





the last tiny scrap of brand loyalty has just evaporated




|||



Grace, I think the days of exercising brand loyalty in the hopes of actually getting something in return were over years ago. I have (collectively) 310,000 miles that I%26#39;m burning as fast as I can because I have no faith that they%26#39;ll have any value in the coming months/years.




|||



This is soooo wrong since I bought my husband%26#39;s ticket for our trip next March online through AA and it%26#39;s in class %26quot;S%26quot; but we only paid $717 for it. I guess because it wasn%26#39;t through a travel agent (namely AA vacations) he gets the miles and you don%26#39;t. I%26#39;m glad I looked and I%26#39;m glad we%26#39;re fine but I sure wish I had know to look out for this beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment