Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Shoe dilemma!!!

I know that everyone says to wear comfortable walking shoes in Paris for obvious reasons, which would be flip flops for me. Would it be absolutely horrendous fashion statement to wear flip flops in such a chic city???





Someone suggested wearing heals and carrying flip flops but at one point i would be carrying the shoes in my bag and there are already a million plus one things to carry...





help???





Merci!!!




|||



With the coblestones and the uneven pavement, it would be difficult to wear flip flops. A friend of mine did it and her back was killing her at the end of the day. Wear something like Birkenstocks if you must have sandals (that%26#39;s what I do). Also keep in mind that it is seldom warm enough in Paris for either one.




|||



Wearing flip flops has nothing to do with fashion but about comfort.: you are going to walk a lot on uneven pavement and you will be tired at the end of the day because they do not provide foot support.



Besides, it might rain and you%26#39;ll end up with wet and dirty feet !




|||



Well, I%26#39;m going to Paris at the end of this week and everyone has been telling me that it is quite warm in August so I thought flip flops would be appropriate. I am in my early 20%26#39;s and this might sound superficial, but I am traveling with my bf and I would like to look %26quot;nice%26quot; for him. Thanks for the suggestions though! I%26#39;m looking up alternatives!




|||



When I was in Paris last September it was very warm and flip flps were everywhere! Tourists and esp. locals!!





They saved my life when a blister I got a few days prior in Amsterdam was really hampering my walking. I had 3 pair of shoes with me..none worked.





Was giving up for the day, and planning an early return to the hotel because the blister on my little toe was killing me. The light bulb went on..I saw all the flip flops, realized they would%26quot;liberate%26quot; the toe, bought a pair(as I said they were everywhere!) and problem solved!!





I%26#39;m not a big flip flop person, after a while the btw the toe thing causes problems, but if you are comfortable wearing them you will not feel out of place.




|||



There are some Merrell and Naot styles that are thong (and other) styles, but far more comfortable than flipflops (and a bit more styish, as well!)





Try to find a store that carries a lot of walking shoes and try on the ones that look good - you will be amazed (at least, I certainly was) at how light and really comfortable many of them are. I can go all day in mine, with no discomfort. If they are really secure on your feet, you should not have problems with uneven paving stones (but do keep that in mind when selecting a style).




|||



I read your post and coincidentally I have the same problem; I am leaving for Paris at the end of the week and I am concerned about what shoes to take with me; I have a pair of favorite flip flops with good cushion Privo/ I guess they are made by Clarks and I was wondering if they would be appropriate; from what I read on the post it looks that i should take them with me/ otherwise I have canvas sandals/ espadrilles with low wedge. hope they will be Ok for the walks.



Flat sandals with velcro/ walking sandals don%26#39;t seem appropriate for Paris. i may be wrong




|||



I have mentioned this before, I had a 20something gal with me on a trip last September and she wore flip flops for one day. Her feet were black at the end of the day and she was very uncomfortable. She put them away never to take them out again...




|||



loveables4u- I do think you should take what is comfortable for you but remember to have a backup pair of good walking shoes that are already broken in.



Do not go out now to buy new shoes you will regret it unless they are good sandals, tennis shoes are to dangerous to bring unless they are fully broken in already.



I do have to warn you I live in NYC and I walk everywhere( I have not driven a car in 3 years) I still have certain shoes I wear when I am doing alot of walking, and flipflops are not one of them. So unless you have literally walked miles in them before have a backup shoe.





Have a great trip!!!





Cheers,




|||



NOT AGAIN ! Another shoe post.





Thank you la photographe, berkeley traveler and



Les68 for once again putting out a clear and straight



response.





There must be AT LEAST 5 prior shoe postings with 30 or more



threads each on the subject of shoes in Paris (a number of



them mine).





Yes, fashion is important BUT





I assume you want to be able to enjoy your trip to Paris.



It is hard to do this with a broken or sprained ankle



or banged up knee (beside which it is not too fashionable).



not to mention dirty feet and being stepped on.





I hope it is not a matter of flip flops on one end and high



heels on the other. There are many comfortable shoes,



even for summer, in between that look good.





If you put shoes in the search box above left you will find



a great number of these type of shoes there.





If you purchase some type of shoe, please try very hard



to break them in BEFORE you arrive in Paris.





Best Wishes




|||



Flip flops don%26#39;t take up much room, so you may as well bring them and give them a try. You may find yourself tripping and %26quot;losing%26quot; one or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment