Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Carrying Passport -- Last minute paranoia

Okay, so after scanning various posts, may I assume that it is okay for us not to carry around our actual passports in Paris? We can use a copy of the passport for ID and another for the Carte Orange photos?




|||



You do not need to carry around your PP in Paris. You may use a driver%26#39;s license or any other government issued ID.





I always suggest that you bring 2-3 color copies of your PP when traveling.





You can snip out the photo from a copy of your PP and use it in the CO.




|||



Ann,



I think it%26#39;s an individual preference. Personally, I%26#39;ve carried my passport on me when I was in London last year, every time we were out and exploring. Some say they make copies and keep the original in their room. Whatever makes you feel comfortable?




|||



And the stores will accept a copy of your valid passport to fill out any VAT refund forms if you spend more than 175 euros in any one store.




|||



Carrying around your original passport sounds OK until you get pickpocketed or you lose it.




|||



I wasn%26#39;t actually planning to bring a driver%26#39;s license -- just the passport. If we get stopped by the Metro police are we still okay with copies?




|||



Officially, you will need to carry you %26#39;actual%26#39; passport at all times - and a photocopy is extremely easy to tamper with, so it will often not be accepted as a replacement.





Having said that, in many months I%26#39;ve never been asked for my passport in Paris - but depending how you look or behave, or where you are, you may be asked for your passport anywhere, anytime. Policemen checking ID%26#39;s of %26#39;random%26#39; people on the street or in the metro are not that unusual.





It makes good sense to keep a copy of your passport somewhere safe, in case your original gets stolen - the copy will make it easier to obtain a new one.




|||



Have never carried my passport in any country I have visited. Always leave it in the safe.




|||



Jantoo,, you say %26quot;officially you have to carry your actual passport%26quot;%26quot;,, um, I don%26#39;t thik you are correct. I believe one is required to carry valid ID at times, but I have never seen it specified it must in fact be a passport. Do you really think a student attending school in Paris for months at a time carries their PASSPORT with them every single day. No, of course not.





I carry my drivers licence. If it is lost or stolen I have lost nothig but 25 dollars and 30 minutes of waiting at my local DL Buruea. If I loose my passport it is considerabley more inconvenient, plus I will not just be able to hop back on the plane and deal with it at home.





I have spend a total of many months in France ( and other europeon countries) I do not carry a passport around, and have never been asked for one either. I suppose if I was making a large purchase I would need it for VAT purposes, but I do not shop like that ever.





In the end each person does waht their comfort level allows,, I carry valid ID, and I leave my precious passport in the safe at the hotel!




|||



Leave passport at hotel and carry a copy. For carte orange, you will need a photo and remember that carte orange is only interesting if you use it Monday to Monday. Otherwise use a carnet.




|||



When I said %26quot;officially you have to carry your actual passport%26quot;, I of course meant foreign tourists visiting France. The French government website says literally: %26quot;Les étrangers doivent en outre établir la régularité de leur séjour en France (passeport, visa, carte de séjour).%26quot;



Which means that foreigners must also (in addition to proving their identity, that is) be able to prove that they are legally staying in France - which means a valid passport (and sometimes visa) in case of a tourist.



The French usually carry a %26quot;Carte nationale d%26#39;identité%26quot;. And yes, as a foreign student in Paris, I carried (and carry) my passport %26quot;every single day%26quot; - what%26#39;s the big deal? Should it get stolen, obtaining a new passport will be a hassle and cost money (about $100, I think) - but if you get your money/credit cards stolen, it will probably cost much more. Just be careful!

No comments:

Post a Comment