Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vegetarian Restaurants

Are there any? A friend was asking. I%26#39;ve been to Nice many times and apart from one in the old town (now closed) I%26#39;ve never seen one.




|||



No. The French are too sensible to buy into such eco-nonsense. Try asking for %26quot;Pigs brain%26quot; and you will get many gourmet offers, as will any other parts of animal anatomy.




|||



Well I%26#39;m not a vegetarian personally, but it is rather insulting to characterise such strongly held beliefs as %26quot;eco-nonsense%26quot;.





Forgive me if I doubt the veracity of your assertion that vegetarian restaurants do not exist. They certainly do in Paris, of all places.




|||



Hi there,



Came across one at the port named La Zucca Magica ( bis quai Papacino) .



It%26#39;s closed on Mondays and Sundays though, and doesn%26#39;t accept credit cards. Menu around 25 euros.





Hope this helps!




|||



Many thanks. I%26#39;ll be in Nice next month. and I%26#39;ll check it out, in the interests of research!




|||



There%26#39;s a few. If you downlaod this list of restaurants in Nice, look for %26#39;Vegetarienne%26#39; under %26#39;Types de Cuisine%26#39;. There are a few listed, not many:





nicetourisme.com/FR/…Restaurants.pdf




|||



Many thanks. I%26#39;ll keep the link.




|||



I am also a %26quot;eco-nonsense%26quot; person and visit Nice quite often as my partner grew up there.





I have always found it very difficult to get veggie food in Nice and we have not found any exclusively veggie places (which, as you say, you do get in Paris). You can find plenty of places which serve meat-free options, though. The popular local dish socca is made of chickpeas (although it is not really a full %26#39;meal%26#39; type thing, more of a snack lunch) and a lot of Italian places have options.





Also, if you have transport or can face the bus, Grand Mere in Tourrettes-sur-Loup (around 30 mins drive from Nice itself or an hour or so on the bus) does amazing vegetarian cous cous!





Enjoy your visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment