Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Mastercard used in Paris?

Hi





Is Mastercard readily accepted in Paris? Can I use it for cash advance with my 4 digit pin and also for charges at stores and restaurants? Thanks for your help.




|||



Yes, no problem.




|||



Hi,



I neer had any problem using my mastercard and visa in Paris. But do you really want to use it to get a cash advance? Do you know what percentage your card issuer charges when you do that? On top of that, most card issuers charge a 3% foreign exchange charge. The only one that does not have a foreign exchange cahrge is Capital One. Please check with your card issuer before you go.





Have fun in Paris! While there, visit Pierre Herme at 72, rue Bonaparte for his excellent pastries and to die for macaroons and his chocolates.




|||



I also suggest checking with your card company before you decide to use it for cash (among other things, most companies charge a much higher interest rate for cash advances, in addition to the foreign transaction charge, etc.)




|||



Hi,





If you want to access your cash while in Europe, I recommend opening an online Money Market account with Capital One. You will receive a debit card and there will be no fees from CapOne to get your cash. You may be charged a small fee by the ATM machine of your choice but not by CapOne. This is also a great way to put money aside for a vacation, too!





Cheers!




|||



Whenever I travel to Paris (which is about only once per year), I telephone Mastercard and notify them about a week before I leave the U.S. that I am traveling to another country. That way Mastercard won%26#39;t find my Parisian purchases suspicious and freeze my account while I am traveling abroad.



Mastercard and Visa are readily accepted throughout Paris.




|||



How is AMEX%26#39;s policy and acceptance in Paris? I read another posting where an article stated everytime you use AMX they charge a 2% fee over and above the amount of purchase. Am I better off just using cash from ATM withdrawals? My last trip to London I used AMX with no fees and was fine....however, it has been a year since traveling to Europe.





Thanks for any advice





Christine




|||



The AmEx fee may have been buried, but I am sure it was there (we have used AmEx in Europe many times). There often is a conversion charge that is shown as part of the finance charges or it may be right below the itemization. Just call and ask them about it, I%26#39;m sure they will explain how it works.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:26 am, September 07, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment