Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rent car from Paris to Normandy?

Hello,



My husband %26amp; I are renting an apt in Paris in October and would like to rent a car for a side trip to Normandy. I will be using Hertz since I have a corporate discount with them.



What is the best airport or train station to rent a car from %26amp; head out toward Normandy? I have heard that CDG or Porte Maillot are 2 good options. Which one would be easier to get to via Metro (we are staying in St. Germain) and easy to pick up a car and get out of with as little traffic as possible?



Also what is the travel time from Paris to Caen and then to Bayeax via the D-Day beaches? What would be the best route?



Thanks in advance for any assistance!





LL




|||



According to viamichelin.fr the fastest route is about 2 hours from Porte Maillot to Caen and about 2 1/2 from CDG.





You could also consider reserving your energy and taking the train to and from Caen if you started early and hired a car in Caen. On a search of sncf.fr for 10 October there was a train from Gare St Lazare at 7.12 am arriving in Caen at 8.57 am and the next one was at 8.40 arriving a 10.43 am. There are return trains at 6.40pm arriving at 8.51 pm and then 7.28pm arriving 9.45.





If you were driving from Porte Maillot or taking the train from St Lazare, I would be inclined to take a taxi from your hotel, depending which is your closest metro.




|||



Thanks for the advice. I never thought about taking the train to Caen which sounds like a good option. I will look into it. The timetable you posted sounds like it will fit with my itinerary.





Merci!





LL




|||



I think the train would be a good idea, as the road times I mentioned were based on taking the express routes which is a stressful way to travel (IMO). This is the website to check train times once you know the actual date





www.voyages-sncf.com/leisure/fr/launch/home/





The Hertz office in Caen is right by the railway station





travel-library.com/carrental/…




|||



When I read your post, I thought of you taking the train to



Caen or another city close to the Normandy beachesand



renting a car from there to tour. Saves money and is faster



than driving from Paris.





Then I scrolled down and there was Faux with all the



details. I couldn%26#39;t agree more.





One thought, while you are in Caen, visit the WWII Memorial



Museum. Allow 1+ hours.. It is a good introductory overview



of what you will on the beaches and at the cemetery.




|||



Though I agree the trip to Caen via train would save the stress of driving if you had the time there are interesting things along the way.





We were able to stop at Giverny, Les Andelys, Rouen and Jumieges on the way. It would be a leisurely day.





If you want to see the D-day beaches then the best thing would be to get the brochures available at the Caen Peace museum which will give you a good list of the most important sites. It is very easy to find them - the signs leading to each museum and beach are good, but it is nice to have a map and an idea of what you are heading to as well. You may not want to hit every museum or monument listed so then you would need to know where to head next. But for the most part if you follow D514 you%26#39;ll get to all the major sites. Plan at least two days to see them.





While the Peace museum in Caen was interesting the one you should not miss is the new visitors center at the American Cemetery in Colleville sur mer (Omaha). It is free and absolutely fabulous. It covers so many aspects of the dday landings and includes the history of ordinary soldiers and their not so ordinary deeds. Truly moving. Plan 2 hours for the museum and then another hour or two for the cemetery and beach.




|||



I have just found a publisher for my upcoming book,



THE FRENCH LANDSCAPE: IMAGES OF A SPECIAL LIGHT.





I was quite taken by the Visitors Center at the American



Cemetery at Colleville.





But walking the cemetery grounds was such a moving



experience, more than cement crosses and stars, that



several photographs in my book will reflect my experience



there.





In my five visits so far to France since 2000 (#6 next month),



being in Normandy has had the most powerful impact on



me.




|||



I have been getting ready for our trip and this is one bit I am fuzzy on getting the arrangements for as I have never been to Normandy beforeand have never rented a car before in France.





All the info is much appreciated and am looking forward to that train trip to Caen and visiting the coastline and the monuments and memorials.





The Memorial in Caen is a good tip for an overview!





LL

No comments:

Post a Comment