Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Paris to Amboise

Is it best to take a train or rent a car at the airport? We will spend 5 days in Loire Valley, fly out of CDG at 1:00 pm. Will it be difficult to return car in Amboise early am and take a train to airport? We will rent a car either way ,just don%26#39;t know the best place to do that.



Thanks






|||



Would be most surprised if you could rent.drop off a hire car in Amboise - It%26#39;s just a small place with the railway station about 1/2 a mile from town.





Any reason why Amboise in particular?




|||



One-way rentals are usually punishingly expensive.





If you%26#39;re going to rent a car, then stay the last night near CDG.




|||



I would certainly advise renting a car to visit the Loire Valley. Amboise is a good base.





There is a TGV train from St Pierre des Corps at 9:02 arriving direct at CDG Terminal 2 at 10:50. St Pierre des Corps is the mainline station just to the east of Tours, about 10 minutes drive from Amboise. You should have no difficulty dropping off your hire car there.





To check that this TGV is valid for your dates, look at





http://www.voyages-sncf.com/




|||



SunloverFrance:





I have been studying the train schedules from Tours (St. Pierre des Corps) to CDG. I would be interested in the 9:02 train you mentioned.





Do you know if this train runs all year round? Or just certain months?





My trip will be in May 2008. On the sncf website it appears that the only TGV trains from Tours to CDG in May are in the afternoons.





I will be leaving Amboise to go to CDG and I%26#39;d prefer to travel in the morning. I was hoping to get a ride on the TGV.





Thanks.




|||



pacosmom





When I consulted the SNCF website, I chose a weekday in August, and it showed a TGV at 9:02, and another one at 10:24, arriving CDG 2 at 12:07.





I have just repeated the search, specifying a date of 12 May 2008, and both trains are still showing.





Are you sure you are using





http://www.voyages-sncf.com





One other point, the site prefers you to enter Roissy, rather than CDG.




|||



Hi, SunloverFrance:





Thank you SO MUCH for this very helpful information. It really helps me out with trip planning.





In the past few weeks I%26#39;ve consulted the voyages-sncf website...the English language version....and was able to get information about the schedule for May 2008. I did this several times.





The schedule I got from the website was that TGV trains from St. Pierre des Corps to Roissy ran only AFTER 13:00. NO morning trains.





After getting your message today, I checked again to make sure I was using the correct website and to see what I could get on MY computer.





I tried: %26quot;voyages-sncf.com%26quot; and %26quot;voyages-sncf.fr%26quot; .....both in the English and French versions.....and NOW neither website will give me ANY information about the schedule for May 2008.





I am not a computer genius...but there must be some explanation about why YOU can get this information in France and I cannot get it in Florida, even though we are both using the same website.





In any case, your kind reply REALLY helped me out in planning my trip and I REALLY appreciate it.





Merci.




|||



I just tried going in and asking for TGV times fot May 12 2008, and you are right, it comes back with an error message saying that you cannot book more than 3 months ahead; even though I only wanted times of trains.





BUT..... if you go and ask for times for say next week, and then when it displays the train times, you change the date to May 12 2008, you get the times of the trains for that date!





sneaky eh?




|||



SunloverFrance:





Nothing wrong with Sneaky !!!!





Thanks again.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, September 07, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment