Thursday, April 12, 2012

Almost there- I travel nxt wk and need quick translation

Can someone give me two quick translations I know I will require on my trip?





1) I don%26#39;t know





2) Where is....





Thanks for assistance




|||



(1) Je ne sais pas (zhuhn say paw)





(2) Ou est (oo eh)





Be sure to pick up a small phrase book - I highly recommend %26quot;French at a Glance%26quot; as it%26#39;s small enough for a purse or pocket, logically laid out, and has lots of basic sentences that you can fill in blanks (e.g., %26quot;the ____ doesn%26#39;t work%26quot; with many different words that could be filled in).




|||



Hi 1239





I know you are short of time so lessons are out of the question - but if you have an iPod you can download some basic French lessons as podcasts from http://www.apple.com/itunes/ They are basic but you should find one that can help you with pronunciation of basic phrases and you can listen on the plane.




|||



Hey,





A lot of guide books also have basic phrases at the back with phonetic translations.





You can download basic phrases on the internet as well.





You%26#39;ll also need to know phrases like:





How much does this cost? C%26#39;est combien? (say come be-ann)





etc...





Enjoy your trip!




|||



Remember when you ask in French, the response will be in French - That is usually my downfall. I can ask things in french but can%26#39;t follow the response. I usuall start (in French) with either the fact that my French is limited %26quot;je parle Francais une petie peu%26quot;(sp?) or %26quot;Parlez vous Anglais%26quot; with a very quick %26quot;Merci%26quot; after the usual %26quot;Yes, Madam%26quot;



In addition I always ask (in French)what the French translation of my request is - I have been able to pick up a bit of the vocabulary if not the finesse of the French language that way. People usually appreciate and applaud my efforts (or at the very least we share a laugh at my attempts)



Keep on earning a few phrases, let people help and enjoy the effort.



jhgrady




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 07, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment