Thursday, April 12, 2012

Speaking French?

How much french should I be able to speak when visiting Cote d%26#39; Azur? How much English is spoken?




|||



There are few locations in France where English is not widely understood and spoken by those working in customer service businesses such as restaurants, hotels, and car rental agencies.





Being able to converse in the local language is a definite advantage but do not let your inability to do so interfere with your vacation plans.




|||



You need to at least try in basic things, like polite response to welcomes, please and thank you, excuse me, and a few numbers - deux billets. Is that so hard?





But I regularly see Americans mostly launch into a loud set of questions in English to a French bus driver. You don%26#39;t speak French, fair enough, why presume others speak foreign languages?



Its a respect thing - its their country.





In a tourist setting everyone will speak some English. In a French setting, you make some effort they will more than meet you half way.



Make no effort, and the French will mutter something unprintable about you under their breath.





And quite rightly so.




|||



I really wouldn%26#39;t worry about the language problem on the Cote d%26#39;Azur too much, they really do speak and understand english very well. I have lived in France for almost 5 years and speak the language because few, if any, of my %26quot;locals%26quot; speak a word of english and yet even now in Nice my %26quot;bonjour%26quot; still has restaurant staff speaking to me in english. I guess you never get the real accent unless you learn the language at a v. young age and in tourist areas you never get to be anything other than tourists.





So, don%26#39;t worry about it, just go there and enjoy the place.




|||



M%26amp;A --





Everyone is right - there is a great deal of English spoken in all the tourist areas in France - but do make the effort to learn the courtesies. The French will make it very clear that they appreciate your efforts and that can make your vacation much more enjoyable.





Take a phrase book with you so that you can point to a necessary phrase that you have been unable to learn, it will make things easier. If you%26#39;re having trouble being understood, don%26#39;t yell. The person may not understand you, but he/she isn%26#39;t deaf.





Bon voyage.




|||



Imagine how many times during my 16 trips to USA i have used the french language ??? Just one at New Orleans ....But don%26#39;t worry, a lot of french people are able to help you in english ... enjoy your stay in France ....




|||



Thanks, I appreciate all of your adivce. I will do my best to learn some %26quot;basic%26quot; French and hope it goes well.




|||



I%26#39;m with NiceGuy





It really doesn%26#39;t take much to at least be able to say bonjour, merci, pardon monsieur/mademoiselle/madam (excuse spelling!) and even I%26#39;m sorry, but my French is rubbish





I have every little knowledge of the French language but have never had any one be rude to me because I at least have a couple of pleasantries under my belt. After all, if I met a Frenchman in London, I would at least expect him to be able to say hello or excuse me.





Manners cost nothing but can get you everywhere!



KRx




|||



Sorry, NiceLife, although I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;re a nice guy too :)





KRx




|||



It does help to know the basic courtesy phrases. I found the Pimsler tapes to be more useful than the Berlitz disk. Try a second hand book store so you don%26#39;t have to pay full price. There are also websites where you can learn a language but I listened to my tapes in the car.




|||



It does help to know the basic courtesy phrases. I found the Pimsler tapes to be more useful than the Berlitz disk. Try a second hand book store so you don%26#39;t have to pay full price. There are also websites where you can learn a language but I listened to my tapes in the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment